Public Librarian Certification Courses
The Fall 2018 Public Library Academy classes are now open for registration. See complete list below.
All registrations will be processed online using Eventbrite. Register for each class by clicking on the link below for the particular class you want to attend.
This online system allows you to verify you are registered. In addition, you can see who else is attending and from where, so carpooling opportunities are identified.
There is a limit of 25 for each class and classes will NOT be held if less than 5 people register. You will be notified by e-mail a week in advance if a class has been cancelled. If any classes are full, you will be able to place your name on a waiting list if you register with an email address.
If you have any questions, contact Wendy Noerdlinger via email or at 405.522.3322
Fall 2018 Class List
- The importance of establishing a welcoming atmosphere & actively encouraging customer requests
- A reference toolbox
- Digital and physical information resources
- Effective reader’s advisory skills
- The planning, presentation, & evaluation of programs for adults
- Techniques for marketing library events and services
- A familiarity with ethical issues including confidentiality, objectivity, & how not to interpret information provided to customers
How To Think Like A Librarian
- The history of libraries
- Contributions of Oklahoma Library leaders
- Why the Public Library matters
- Intellectual Freedom
- Freedom of access to all
- Code of Ethics for Librarians
- The Library philosophy
- Community Assessment
- Policies & Procedures
- Selection: vendors, publishers, suppliers
- Receiving Materials: cataloging & processing
- Collection Assessment
- Maintenance & weeding
Public Library Administration
- Governing Structure of Public Libraries
- Responsibilities of the board & director
- How public libraries are funded
- Policies & procedures
- State Aid
Find out more about Librarian Certification.
Questions? Contact Librarian Certification on the Division Contact Form.