The mission of the Oklahoma Publications Clearinghouse is to collect state government publications and make them available to the citizens of Oklahoma.
Our collection includes state publications ranging in format from one-page informational leaflets, to maps, to comprehensive reports, and dating from 1978, the year the Publications Clearinghouse was officially established by law. Materials circulate to state employees, and are available through interlibrary loan to the general public.
Official Duties of the Clearinghouse
- To collect state publications from every agency to retain and preserve them
- To compile and maintain a permanent record of state publications
- To establish a state publications depository library system
- To enter into contracts with other libraries within this state, designating them as depository libraries for the Oklahoma Department of Libraries
- To distribute copies of state publications to the United States Library of Congress and depository libraries of the Oklahoma Department of Libraries
- To prepare and publish official lists of state publications
Publications received by the Clearinghouse from state government agencies are distributed to a network of 16 depository libraries located throughout Oklahoma, as well as to the US Library of Congress. Created by legislation in 1978, the Oklahoma Publications Clearinghouse of the Oklahoma Department of Libraries was charged with the responsibility “to establish an Oklahoma government publications depository library system for the use of the citizens of the State of Oklahoma; to collect state publications from every agency and to retain and preserve permanently copies of all such publications.”
In 1985, the Oklahoma Department of Libraries initiated a program to microfilm state government publications. This program enabled all depository libraries within the Oklahoma Publications Clearinghouse system to receive copies of all available publications. Prior to 1985, only six libraries were designated as total depositories within the OPC system, and as such, received copies of all available publications.
The Publications Clearinghouse can be found on the 2nd floor at the Allen Wright Memorial Library, 200 NE 18th Street, OKC, OK. Please contact Publications Clearinghouse for more information.